I recently read, in John Piper’s devotional Taste and See, an entry on how to pray for the human soul (both your own soul and the souls of others). I hope to begin praying this prayer for myself and others everyday. I have summarized Piper’s points and given the primary scriptures referenced.
1. Pray for an inclination to God and his Word.
“Incline my heart to Your testimonies and not to gain” ~Psalm 119:36
2. Pray to have the eyes of your heart opened.
“Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law.” ~Psalm 119:18
3. Pray for your heart to be enlightened with these “wonders.”
“…that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened.” ~Ephesians 1:18
4. Pray for your heart to be united for God.
“O LORD, I will walk in your truth: unite my heart to fear Your name.”
5. Pray that your heart will be satisfied with God and not with the world.
“Satisfy us in the morning with Thy steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.” ~Psalm 90:14
6. Pray that you would be strong in joy, persevering during the dark seasons.
“That [God] would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man.”
7. Pray that you would produce good deeds and works of love for others.
“That [we] will walk in a manner worthy of the Lord…bearing fruit in every good work.” ~Colossians 1:10
8. Pray that the name of the Lord would be known and feared and loved and cherished and admired and praised and trusted because of your life and ministry.
“Hollowed be Thy name.” ~Matthew 6:9